If you want your blog posts to be read by anybody in addition to you and your mom, it’s incumbent upon you to do some blog post optimization to make sure you give your content the best chance possible at getting ranked in the search engines, or best of all, be shared by people far and wide.
Many are confused however at exactly how they should accomplish optimizing their blog posts for SEO. To be honest, basic optimization is very easy, and you’ll be far ahead of your competition by the time you finish reading this post! Have a look at these 5 tips that can help you optimize your blog posts quickly and easily.
1. Do some keyword research – Search engines operate via keywords. If they don’t know what keywords you are targeting, you might not show up for the terms you seek to be found for. Make this easy by identifying these and several secondary terms prior to writing your post, so you’ll be able to use them in the title, body and tags of your post.
2. Make your content fun to read – Readers online typically scan a page, so it’s your job to make them pause. The best ways to do this are by using lots of headlines, visuals and videos. Don’t pound them with long stretches of text, or they’re out of here!
3. Great headlines and subheads – The simplest way to get readers to read your entire post and engage with you is to use enticing, yet true headlines and subheads. This will rope in the unsuspecting skimmer we referenced above and get them to read the whole thing. A side benefit is that it makes it easier to organize and write the post to begin with.
4. Make them social – Enable social sharing buttons on your blog, and encourage their use. You never know who’s going to read your post and Tweet it to their zillions of followers.
5. Use a responsive design – These days over half of all web traffic is first read on a mobile device. If you’re not using a responsive design for mobile, then you’re going to miss out on roughly half your possible audience. Nuff said?